Home

Jobs

Michael Collins: Questions for The Money Party - Negative Job Growth for 11 Years

The Money Party is a very small group of enterprises and individuals who control almost all of the money and power in the United States.  They use their money and power to make more money and gain more power. It's not about Republicans versus Democrats.  The Money Party is an equal opportunity employer. It has no permanent friends or enemies, just permanent interests. Democrats are as welcome as Republicans to this party. It’s all good when you’re on the take and the take is legal. Economic Populist

Negative job growth for eleven years is the best evidence concerning our economic troubles.  There were 135 million jobs in 2000 for a workforce of 144 million.  Today, there are 139 million jobs for a workforce of 154 million.  That represents negative job growth when you factor in population growth. Make the jump»

A Message to Joe Biden

I received an email from the Barack Obama campaign this morning - specifically addressed as if it was from Vice President Joe Biden - asking if I'd be willing to send in $5 for a chance at a drawing to enable 5 people to have dinner with the President.

I had to decline.

As folks may realize from the two diaries currently on the Rec list by shannika and stonedoubt, jobs are a big issue right now; the economy as a whole, of course, is a huge issue. And if you read a little into stonedoubt's diary, you'll find a comment from me that explains my response to Joe indirectly: I'm closing my business.

Below the fold is the short, simple text of what I sent back. I realize it will never be seen by Vice President Biden, or the President. I know it will likely never be read by anyone in Congress or in a position to pass along my simple response.

Nonetheless, I felt better sending it. No histrionics, no propaganda - just a simple statement and plea.

Make the jump if you'd like to read it, and perhaps add your own comment.

Namaste.

Make the jump»

Friday Morning Open Thread: Speechless, Rep. Joe Crowley Edition

...and yes, this IS an Open Thread.

A US NHS universal medical system could become America's largest employer

Originally posted 2011-02-11 12:29:30 -0500. Bumped and promoted. - GH

(Written by an American expat living in the European Union)
There are 59 million Americans who don't have medical insurance. There are 132 million Americans who don't have dental insurance. What if there were an alternate United States where everyone was medically and dentally insured? Well it just so happens that I live in what some call the United States of Europe otherwise known as the European Union and here everyone that I see everyday is fully medically insured. They live on average longer than we do in America and they pay less for their medical system than we do in America, even though they insure 100% of their populations.
Why can't the Teabaggers see this? If they could see it, would it change anything? Would it change you? It changed me. It is possible to change America, one person at a time. All we have to do is get the word out that universal medical works in every major industrialized country in the world, therefore it can also work in America not only to provide health care but also to become America's biggest employer with jobs that pay a living wage that can't be outsourced.

Make the jump»

Pondering 2012

After watching President Obama and the Democratic party water down healthcare reform with the help of AHIP and seeing them get insurance corporations some serious corporate welfare, water down FineReg with the help of the Bankers that destroyed the world economy by propping them up with trillions of dollars worth of free money so they could keep on rolling in their bonus money and profits, I am finding it hard to see how this can possibly lead to anything good in any way, shape or form:

President Barack Obama is preparing new overtures to business that may start with a walk into the headquarters of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and a retreat with corporate chief executive officers, according to people familiar with his plans.

The Obama administration has been at odds with the Chamber, which fought Obama’s health-care and financial regulatory overhauls and committed $75 million to political ads in the midterm congressional elections, mainly directed against Democrats. The CEO summit would be a way to address complaints from some executives the Democratic administration is anti- business.

Markos at Daily Kos hits the nail on the head with this one: Make the jump»

The campaign script that has written itself...

But will will those Dems notice? From Steve Benen at the Washington Monthly's Political Animal:

THE KIND OF VOTE TO BUILD AN ELECTION AROUND

Note that House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) was asked on ABC yesterday how his party would have saved these thousands of jobs, including 3,600 in his home state of Indiana. Pence didn't answer, because he couldn't -- the Republican plan was to let those jobs disappear, and then blame President Obama when the economy got worse. (It's the same with the rescue of the American auto industry -- the GOP plan wasn't to save it in some other way; the GOP plan was to let it die.)

The campaign ads seem to write themselves in a situation like this. Indeed, this is a debate to build an election around -- with a struggling economy, Democrats proposed a fiscally-responsible plan to save hundreds of thousands of jobs, specifically helping our local schools. Republicans said we can afford tax cuts for billionaires, but not teachers' jobs.

It's not every day the two parties' approaches to government get spelled out so clearly, giving the public a stark choice between two very different ideologies.

Emphasis mine and Digby has a lot to say, excerpted below the fold, on this as well.

Make the jump»

OMG! The Unwashed Have Healthcare and May actually Use It!

After a year long debate where the GOP, the Tea Party and their conservative cohorts insisted that the poor did have healthcare because they could all walk into emergency rooms when they were so sick the illness was intolerable... They are shocked that the poor, the ones who could not honestly afford to get healthcare, even in those emergency rooms of last resort, may actually have access to them now: Make the jump»

BRILLIANT! Pelosi forces vote on Tax Cuts for Job Outsourcers, Idiots fall for it hook line & sinker

Speaker Pelosi pulled a brilliant move at the end of the last weeks legislative session.

House Democrats are home for a long Memorial Day break with a gift-wrapped wedge issue delivered just in time for district campaigning. One of their final actions before adjourning late Friday was passing a measure that would strip tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas by a 215-204 vote.

talkingpointsmemo.com

The Grand Outsourcing Party. Expect Dems to run on this come election time.

More brilliance below the fold. Make the jump»

From My Mailbag: AFL-CIO Demonstrates in Chicago

Showdown in Chicago: Thousands Protest Bankers

by Seth Michaels, Oct 27, 2009

More than 5,000 people are packing the streets of downtown Chicago this morning, chanting, marching and rallying against Big Bankers and financial institutions that have taken taxpayer money and are using it to give big bonuses to CEOs and to lobby against financial reforms that would ensure they don’t go back on the public dole.

Make the jump»

Nick Benton's Corner: The Biggest Water Project

Posted with permission of Nicholas Benton, owner Editor of the Falls Church News Press.

by Nicholas Benton

As the unemployment rate approaches 10 percent in the U.S., prospects appear clearer that the world faces a deep and persisting economic malaise, the consequence of a combined on-going deflation of impossibly-bloated leveraging instruments and the demise, maybe forever, of frenzied consumer spending habits.

The Obama administration's concept of retooling economic fundamentals away from speculation and consumerism toward solid growth in infrastructure and education has been sound, but getting from here to there will hardly be quick or easy.

$42,000 Each That's What Bernanke Cost US Since 2007

Bloomberg circulated a report this morning on the total size of the bail out facilities run through the Federal Reserve and Geithner's Treasury. They estimate the total to be $12.8 trillion, or $42,105 for every man, woman and child in the country, 14 times the amount of currency in circulation, and just $1.4 trillion less than the Gross Domestic Product, which is what economists call everything produced and sold in the country last year. Since last November when the facilities under both departments amounted to $7.4 trillion, the amount has increased by 73%. 

I think there is something wrong here. What do you think? Do you agree? Or do you think it is OK that the Federal Reserve Chief has accumulated this kind of power without feeling compelled to tell anyone exactly what he is doing or how? Make the jump»

JOBS: Research and Science

A little back round. There once was a Huge Linen Factory, called Cannon than Pillow Tex {sp?}, than something else after I moved here of which the name eludes me. Well they closed it down a few years ago with thousands of job loses not only within but the supporting small companies. It was one of the biggest, if not thee biggest, collective job loss numbers in North Carolina. Make the jump»

Mesmerized by Melodic Rhetoric: Guns vs. Hope

Mesmerized by Melodic Rhetoric: Guns Versus Hope

Joel S. Hirschhorn

"I've been through Y2K and I've been through 9/11. I have never seen people so afraid as what we are seeing right now,” said gun shop owner Scott Moss recently. Make the jump»

Some thoughts on the Obama Stimulus Package

This was hard to put together because the charts were PDF so please excuse the appearance.

The report, The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Investment Plan, has been  released as a PDF file and the link to it can be here. The report contains a table that shows how their estimate of how the recovery will work. One thing to note is that the composition of the jobs is such as to provide employment at the lowest-paid level (in service industry jobs) as well as for skilled professionals. See below the Krugmann commentary: Make the jump»

"almost homeless"

Wearing 'almost homeless' sign, ex-executive seeks work

Paul Nawrocki says he's beyond the point where he cares about humiliation.

Make the jump»