Home

humor

Fake news video true story from the Onion, in humor diary about facebook being a CIA program

Written for the phazebooq group @ the daily kos.
http://www.dailykos.com/user/phazeboooq

According to a recent report from the Onion fake news report Mark Zuckerman won a medial from the CIA for his work with face book. Of course it is not true but it is true.
Are you feeling confused. Make the jump»

The President's Speech

The trailer for "The President's Speech" was introduced by President Obama at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner. It's an excellent hat-tip to the movie "The King's Speech" and a great response to those who have obsessed about the President's teleprompter.

Campaign 2012 is apparently off to a roaring start, and if this and if the President's performance at the dinner are any indication, it will be a doozy of a campaign cycle with the ridiculous multitude of conspiracy theories and high-school level hijinks of the Tea Party, the Birthers and the GOP's conservative "leadership" getting schooled for their complete avoidance of real-world problems.

As it should be.

We shouldn't have had to wait until this latest campaign cycle for the Democrats and for the news media to start pushing back against the enhanced levels of Kabuki theater in a Potemkin village that has infiltrated & taken over Washington DC politics. That's something that the media, in particular, should have capably dismissed all throughout the news cycle instead of presenting the conspiracy theories and propaganda as serious issues that reality-based individuals actually debated and cared about.

The media failed, and let a politically motivated messaging machine almost completely supplant the news cycle.

That, alone, is reason enough to put out a call to all those who complain about the traditional media's failure and encourage them to step up as citizen journalists, helping organizations like ePluribus Media bring back the voice and interests of the People, by the People, for the People.

Today's Google News

Google announces its new TiSP wireless broadband internet service:

Introducing Google TiSP (BETA), our new FREE in-home wireless broadband service. Sign up today and we'll send you your TiSP self-installation kit, which includes setup guide, fiber-optic cable, spindle, wireless router and installation CD.

TiSP in-home wireless broadband is:

• Free, fast and highly reliable

• Easy to install -- takes just minutes

• Vacuum-sealed to prevent water damage

Interested? You can learn more about TiSP via the links below, or get started now.

Learn More:
Press Release   How TiSP Works   FAQ

Open Thread: Welcome to Wisconsin

Political Pictures - David Koch, Wisconsin
see more Political Pictures

The Immortalization of William "Bill" O'Reilly (SRSLY!)

Yes, folks, it's true: Bill O'Reilly is becoming an immortal. But don't fret -- it's not like he'll become a stalwart bastion of conservative ideology. He's instead gone the way of "stalwart bastion of ridicule" and created an immortal (and hilariously appropriate) new internet meme:

The animated ORLY? You Can't Explain That.

A post over at GeekOSystem tells the story:

Last month, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly stepped into instant Internet infamy when, in a debate with American Atheists president David Silverman, O'Reilly attempted to prove the existence of God by citing the mystery of the tides: "I'll tell you why not a scam, in my opinion. Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. You can't explain why the tide goes in." Only one problem: There's this thing called the Moon which might have a little to do with tides.

Bill-O wasn't expecting to actually get an answer, never mind a complete - and polite - utter smackdown. And now, he's achieved the ultimate in unintended consequences: he has, in his arrogance, created a meme that will likely survive him and find its way into a myriad of modern day pop-culture expressions.

Amazingly, I'll bet he can't explain that, either.

h/t Opinions Unrestrained.

Sunday Morning Open Thread: Macro Economics of the Big Box Mart, JibJab Edition

YouTube: 

Posted without further commentary...but keep in mind, this is an Open Thread.

Hat-tip Roxy for the link and reminder.

From the Mailbag: Who Reads What

The following came in via email ... thought you might all enjoy.

Who Reads What

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

2. The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.

3. The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the
country and who are very good at crossword puzzles. Make the jump»

Open Thread - "Throwing a Real Tea Party"

Funny or Die pretty much sums up what we are dealing with when we talk about the Tea Party:

A slightly misogynist message (Probably a bit NSFW, too) to another aspect of the Tea Party that we have to deal with below the Open Thread fold... Make the jump»

Bunny Salad Blogging: A matter of perspective

Thought this was cute ... wanted to share.

------------------------------------- Make the jump»

Open Thread - Sometimes Karaoke is too good to be true

This jewel of a karoeke video will put a smile on your face...

And this is a jewel of an Open Thread... But first: Do you ever Karaoke? And if you do, do you sound even half as good as Karen?

Open Thread - ePluribus Media Blogger Causes 120 Million Dollars In Lost Worker Productivity

Ok... Maybe standingup isn't quite a Financial Weapon of Mass Destruction and only contributed a bit to that loss in productivity when posting the "Sunday Morning Photo and Open Thread" on the playable Google Pacman logo:

And a happy 30th birthday to Pac Man! Google stirred up quite a response yesterday when they replaced their logo with a google doodle celebrating the anniversary of one of the most popular video games ever. The twist on this doodle is the "Insert Coin" button which transforms the doodle into a live version of the video favorite. See for yourself, while it lasts at google.com.

Via the BBC we find out that a firm making software that tracks what workers do online, Rescue Time, estimates millions of hours wasted on playing the game:

Extrapolating this up across the 504 million unique users who visit the main Google page day-to-day, this represents an increase of 4.8 million hours - equal to about 549 years.

In dollar terms, assuming people are paid $25 (£17.50) an hour, this equates to about $120m in lost productivity, the firm said.

That amount of money also adds up to about 6 weeks of Google's payroll. FYI: The game proved to be so popular that  Google gave Pacman a permanent page where you can play it whenever you want - but don't tell your boss I sent you there from this Open Thread.... Make the jump»

This Link Is Not Safe For Work!

It isn't too safe for your home either...

Their hookline?

"the strongest visual birth control on the market today."

The name of the site?

"Shit My Kids Ruined"

Pretty self explanatory stuff and over the years I have probably thrown out an entire room's worth of stuff that I almost wish I had taken pictures of now. And those pictures? Almost every single one of them? That is one (or the other) of my kids at some time (or another). And that is all my shit too! Make the jump»

Satirical Palin Media Attack Laps Reality

Providing even further proof that real life can be funnier than anything even The Onion can make up... Sarahcuda circles the "lamestream media" like a blind and toothless fish out of water:chasing her own tale:

Blasting 'lamestream media,' Palin attacks satirical article

A reader points out that one of the fed-up claims in Sarah Palin's defense of Nikki Haley -- that the "lamestream media" reported she was "living in the Hamptons" -- refers to a pretty blunt and obvious satire in a local New York publication, Dan's Papers.

Just be thankful that she is as clueless as a political and ideological foe as we could ever hope for. We can only hope for this kind of idiocy from her Kentucky ideological clone, Rand Paul. Make the jump»

Saturday Morning Open Thread: Taxing Patience, IRS Edition

Tax-time is fast approaching, so expect to see a lot more humor circulating the internet along these lines:

At the end of the tax year, the IRS office sent an inspector to audit the books of a local hospital. While the IRS agent was checking the books he turned to the CFO of the hospital and said, "I notice you buy a lot of bandages. What do you do with the end of the roll when there's too little left to be of any use?"

"Good question," noted the CFO. "We save them up and send them back to the bandage company and every now and then they send us a free box of bandages."

"Oh," replied the auditor, somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer. But on he went, in his obnoxious way.

"What about all these plaster purchases? What do you do with what's left over after setting a cast on a patient?"

"Ah, yes," replied the CFO, realizing that the inspector was trying to trap him with an unanswerable question. "We save it and send it back to the manufacturer, and every now and then they send us a free package of plaster."

"I see," replied the auditor, thinking hard about how he could fluster the know-it-all CFO.

"Well," he went on, "What do you do with all the leftover foreskins from the circumcisions you perform?"

"Here, too, we do not waste," answered the CFO. "What we do is save all the little foreskins and send them to the IRS Office, and about once a year they send us a complete dick."

Hat-tip lizart8 of DelphiForums.

I've seen a fair share of IRS-related horror stories, but I've also had the opportunity to work at the IRS, to work with and get to know people who worked at the IRS and who worked with people on taxes, and to work with people at the IRS who work with tax payers who have problems with relation to their returns (late / delinquent / missing returns, etc.), and what I've noted overall is that -- for the most part, in my direct experience, the people at the IRS aren't out to screw the average American taxpayer and will work to help ensure that the average taxpayer with their tax-related issues and responsibilities.

So, enjoy the jokes -- there are some definite dicks running about at the IRS and in nearly every business, government or otherwise -- but don't forget that it's humor. There are many, many hard-working individuals at all levels of the IRS who, like you, are also taxpayers and who take pride in their work. They strive to provide excellent customer service, and often have real reason to be proud in the often thankless tasks they perform. Give 'em a break.

And now, below the fold, please share any stories of success or strife that you may have stumbled across through the years.

This is an Open Thread.

For more information: www.irs.gov

Open Thread - Politics on a Plane Edition

ePluribus Media had a chance to get to a Blogger's meet up with Rep. Jim Himes in Norwalk, Connecticut, on Tuesday night and we hit on a bunch of topics. We have a couple of videos up on the topic of Healthcare Reform over here already and you can peek at these YouTube uploads for more (Six from this event edited so far).

But for those of you that might wonder "if Rep. Anthony Weiner is really pushing as hard as he can for Single Payer?" You might enjoy this short and humorous video from the interview below the fold:

Make the jump»